jueves, 5 de noviembre de 2009

Kids, Uwe Boll and the Malaria Medicine

Hey Danda,

No, I wasn't aware that Al Lowe was the guy behind Leisure Suit Larry. I played several of those games before I was old enough to understand them, and in retrospect, I wonder how I managed to solve them way back when, as an innocent prepubescent girl! And I wonder how my English vocabulary sufficed. At any rate, it's good he's okay and that he called the doctor right away. I read that often times, people don't really notice they have a heart attack because sometimes just their arm hurts and they think, whatever it is, it's probably nothing serious.

To jump right to the next topic, I wonder why you wouldn't be able to play violent video games anymore as a father. You sound like one of those crazy German politicians that calls first person shooters "murder simulators" and claims they turn juveniles into maniacs. I guess when your child reaches an age where video games get to be interesting, you just have to make sure that he realizes that reality is different from video games and real violence is not okay. After all, I don't think it's the video games that causes people to go on killing sprees, I think it's their isolation and social problems. Either way, you can always just play any game at all when your kid is sound asleep (think headphones), and I don't see how that would make you a bad father.

Having said that, of course I also think that some movies and possibly games aren't appropriate for young kids, and I recall an episode of This American Life where someone talked about watching The Shining when he was six years old, and how that basically kept him from sleeping for two years. But yeah, send your kid to bed early, and the rest of the night is all yours. ;)

And speaking about movies, I really like Uwe Boll since we went to meet him, he was so nice and pleasant, and I don't think Bloodrayne is as bad as it's made out to be - it can't be, because it seems I must've lent my Bloodrayne DVD to someone and whoever has it never gave it back. Dungeon Siege also wasn't bad. But I admit, BloodRayne II was a complete piece of garbage, and even I can't find it in me to defend it, hehe.

I myself haven't gotten around to playing much lately, so I'm still stuck in GTA IV somewhere. My brother finished Far Cry 2 not too long ago, even though he thought it was frustrating that you always had to go back and forth between locations and enemies came back to places where you killed everyone earlier. A friend of mine said he stopped playing it when he couldn't find malaria medicine anymore. So I guess that game is not high on my list of games I want to play.

Well, keep playing while you still can, and if you ever feel being a father is so stressful that you can't find time for your Playstation 3 anymore, I'd be kind enough to take it and take care of it for you. ;)

Regards,
-- SuperViv

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario